and other unprofessional fun facts
After growing up in Germany I moved to DC in 2009. I have a Master's Degree in Graphic Design and Fine Arts. After several years of working in advertising and print production, I decided to pursue my dream of making a living with my art.
It's your journey. Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live today. And don't forget to laugh!
I'm fascinated by old and vintage objects, because they carry so many memories and always tell a story. My home is filled with old books and vintage suitcases that I use as storage units.
There's exactly one celebrity that I'm following on social media: The hilarious Mindy Kaling. "The Mindy Project" is my favorite show and Mindy (Lahiri or Kaling) is my humor-dream-BFF
I fell in love with DC pretty much on her first day after moving from Munich in 2009. Even after 5.5 years living in DC, Washington is still my favorite city in the world! I love it so much, that I created the DC LOVE souvenir series, which is based on my original pencil illustrations. I won a local competition with this series in summer 2013 and I'm selling my DC LOVE products all over Washington including the local airport.
Me and my pencil
Pencils are my all time favorite medium. When I draw I usually work messy and it takes a while from rough sketches to the final motif – I love the fact, that I can correct my creation as many times as I like until I'm happy with it (because I'm never satisfied the first time). Even as a kid I wouldn't write or paint without trying it first with pencil.
There's a war in my head
Picasso once said that ”Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life”. It is perfectly true for me: Being creative gives me a break from my busy mind and makes me feel balanced.
MORE (UNPROFESSIONAL) FUN FACTS
- I write and paint with my left hand but anything else I pretty much use my right hand for (playing pingpong for example)
- I always carry a (lucky) penny with me (got that from my Grandmother)
- Avoid talking to me when I'm hungry (Unfortunately I have friends who can confirm that)
- (Because of the above) It doesn't matter where I go, I always have something to eat in my bag
- My favorite band ever: Take That
- My crafts are totally inspired by my Mom – as a kid we used to make detergent boxes pretty by collaging wrapping paper around them
- I love snugglebumms - I think that's the first thing I ever bought with my own pocket money
- I've never met someone who loves Washington DC more than I do